Suppliers are required to obtain PPAP approval from the vehicle manufacturers whenever a new or modified component is introduced to production, or the manufacturing process is changed.
The PPAP ensures:
1) The clients requirements have been understood
2) The product supplied meets those requirements
3) The process (including sub suppliers) is capable of producing a conforming product
4) The production control plan and quality management system will prevent non-conforming products reaching the client or compromising the safety and reliability of finished vehicles
A PPAP is also very similar to the following international requirements:
- ISIR (Initial Sample Inspection Report)